Visualizing data is great, but at some point you're going to want to interact with it.
An action is a button that triggers server-side logic through an API call. Without a single line of code, Forest Admin natively supports all common actions required on an admin interface such as CRUD (Create, Read, Update, Delete), sort, search, data export, and more.
In Forest Admin, all the available actions can fall into 2 categories.
Those actions come out-of-the-box. Here is what the most common ones look like in the interface:
- Create: create a new record in a given collection (1)
- Duplicate: create a new record from an existing one (2)
- Update: edit a record's data (3)
- Delete: remove a record (4)
Triggering an action is very simple, but the behavior can differ according to the type of action.
There are 3 types of actions:
- Bulk actions: the action will be available when you select one or several records
- Single actions: the action is only available for one selected record at a time
- Global actions: the action is always available in the Table View without having to select one or several records
In the following pages, we'll cover everything you need to know about interacting with your data through actions.